Eating lunch together is a really important part of the school day. It is a key time when staff encourage independence, develop social skills and ensure everyone has a good meal.
Lunch menus are very popular with a range of well-balanced and healthy options and are changed regularly. The menus are available in the school office and online.
School dinners are cooked on site by Harrison Catering. They offer good value for money and provide a healthy balanced diet.
At Belleville Wix Academy, we promote healthy eating and want to encourage your child to be as healthy as possible. If you wish to provide a packed lunch for your child please ensure that the following items are not included:
- Fizzy Drinks
Packed lunches will be carefully monitored to ensure that these items are not brought into school.
Some Healthy Lunch ideas may include:
- Fresh fruit
- Crunchy vegetables
- Dairy food such as a cheese stick or slice, grated cheese, milk or yoghurt.
- Protein such as a slice of lean meat
- Starchy food such as bread, a roll, pita or flat bread, fruit bread or crackers.
Try these healthy packed lunch ideas
The school is a nut free school therefore we ask you to check carefully and avoid nut products in lunch boxes and anywhere on the school site.
The cost of school meals is currently £12.50 per week. Meals must be paid for in advance, weekly, half termly or for the whole term. The meal preference can be changed at the start of each half term only. You cannot alternate between packed lunch and school meals.
We use Schoolcomms at www.schoolgateway.com to provide a payment service for school meals. This is a secure online payment service. You can access it at any time, track how much you have paid, what is outstanding and make payments directly to us using your debit or credit card.
- You will need to register for a School Gateway account, using the email address and mobile number we have on record for you. When you have entered your email address and mobile number, select the Send PIN button, and a PIN number will be sent to your mobile phone. You can then use this PIN number to log into the School Gateway and view/ make payments.
- You will be notified by text or email of any requests for payment. Simply log in using your email address and your PIN number, select the payment request(s) you wish to fulfil and follow the Wizard through to pay.
- You can see a record of the payments that you have made and receipts are sent to your registered email address for all transactions you make.
- You will be able to see your current meal balance and receive reminders to top up when you are getting low.
- If you have more than one child at Belleville Wix Academy (or any other school that also uses the schoolcomms payment system) you can merge the accounts, so one log-in gives you access to all your children’s payment requests and history.
- Your card details are not visible or stored in the Schoolcomms or school system. All card information is processed by Barclaycard.
If you have any questions about this, please contact the school office.
Free Meals Entitlement
Your child may be entitled to a free school lunch if you are on a low income or on certain benefits eg Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance. Please fill out this form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your child is eligible for free school lunch, please register their entitlement even if they have packed lunches. This can affect school funding and will make you automatically eligible for grants for school journeys.
Universal Free School Meals
Due to changes in government legislation, all children in Reception – Year 2 will be entitled to a school dinner every day free of charge to parents/carers. All schools in England will need to provide a hot meal option and provide meals that comply with the School Food Standards. These standards are intended to ensure that children get the nutrition they need across the whole school day. If you want your child to have a packed lunch, which you will provide, you may do so.